“During Women’s History Month, we recognize the victories, struggles, and stories of the women who have made our country what it is today.” ~ President Obama
March! Not only are we coming off an extraordinary month of celebration for Black history but we have another opportunity to celebrate! National Women’s History Month! In honor of this month (and every month!), we’ll be highlighting some spectacular queens here on the blog and providing some background, insight, and event happenings to celebrate women! Of course we started off the month with the most gorgeous Lupita Nyong’o but be sure to check back here as we feature more beautiful, inspirational, women!
1. Women’s History Month has origins dating back to 1911 in which the very first International Women’s Day was organized.
2. In 1966, the National Women’s History Museum was founded to preserve and celebrate the historic contributions of women.
3. In 1981, the week of March 8 was delegated by Congress as Women’s History Week.
4. National Women’s History Month was declared by Congress in 1987.
5. Each year the National Women’s History Project presents a theme for Women’s History Month and for 2014 the theme was celebrating Women of Character, Courage, and Commitment.
Happy Women’s History Month!