Hello loves! As I’m getting better acquainted with my natural hair, I find myself falling in love with an ever growing list of favorite products. It’s a tough life being addicted to products. It is. Although I can indulge deeper than the best of them when it comes to new products, nothing tops finding an au naturale alternative that works just as good (if not better) than the most expensive beauty items. What am I speaking of? Essential oils! And there are 3 that you NEED in your life. Yes NEED. So let’s get familiar with them :).
1. Olive Oil ~ I have been a fan of olive oil since the beginning of my life. Lol okay that was extreme but I’m for real. Before this natural thing was cool I promise you I was using olive oil faithfully in my life. It is the perfect natural oil that you can use for everything. I’m talking sealant for you hair, moisturizing your cuticles, removing your makeup, creating lip scrubs and skin creams, and the list goes on. AND it’s full of Vitamin A & E sooo I’d say that’s a win 🙂
2. Coconut Oil ~ Another oil that I’m very familiar with is coconut oil. There’s literally like a hundred ways to use this oil for hair, skin, and beyond. You’ll most likely find it in many natural beauty products because…well…I mean it smells amazing but it’s also a great moisturizer and can penetrate hair better than other common oils. You can use coconut oil as a deep conditioner, makeup remover, prepoo, or skin moisturizer. And did I mention it smells good??
3. Argan Oil ~ My most recent discovery! I first heard the buzz surrounding argan oil back when I was in my curious phase on my hair journey. I was gathering as much info as I could and this particular oil kept coming up so I did my research on it. Argan oil is full of vitamins and antioxidants and you’re most likely to see it in hair products like serums. It helps with shine and to reduce frizz. You can also add argan oil to your skin care regimen for a boost of hydration.
These are just a few of my favorites but there are tons of essential oils and natural products that us beauties can benefit from! Sometimes the best in beauty isn’t found in your favorite department store ;).
Peace, Love, & Blessings
**Stay Connected! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter & Instagram**
I’m officially into my second month on my natural hair journey and I am in L.O.V.E. Not only or exactly with my hair but with my decision to go natural. Or, should I say as I have seen, to RETURN to natural. This journey isn’t just about your hairstyle. It’s about so so so much more. I feel like the movement resonates so wonderfully with what This Brown Queen stands for. I’m only a month in and although I am still learning and growing tremendously I am in awe of all the knowledge I’ve gained thus far. AND I’ve discovered so many beautiful natural bloggers and vloggers along the way. All so truly inspiring and beautiful in their own ways and I can only hope to meet some of these Queens one day or connect across this blogosphere :). Ok so before I get any more emotional than I already did, let’s move along to the recap!
What I’m Doing:
My Regimen is simple. I’ve learned years ago that with my hair, low manipulation is key. It doesn’t really like too much going on all day everyday so I don’t do too much. I wash with a low sulfate shampoo once a week. I also condition, detangle, and deep condition once a week as well. Once a month I do a protein treatment. I don’t use any heat. At all at all. To dry my hair I generally use the bun method and allow a full 24 hours to completely dry before styling. To maintain moisture during the week, I simply use water and an oil. Sometimes I’ll use a leave in depending upon the style and state.
What I’m Using:
Tresemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth with Coconut Oil and Jojoba Extracts Shampoo and Conditioner. Use theses once a week as my low sulfate shampoo and regular conditioner. Also if I need to do a mid week cowash I use this conditioner as well. Pantene Truly Natural Deep Conditioner as my weekly deep conditioner mixed with EVOO. Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Repairing Conditioner as my leave in. African Royale Hot Six Oil as my sealant. Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream and Eco Styler gel as my stylers. Cantu Shea Butter Daily Oil Moisturizer as a moisturizer if/when needed. EVOO & Honey as a prepoo.
Two strand twist is still my go to. I just love the way these look. A very pretty natural style that I feel works very well for transitioning hair. I do have a love/hate relationship with them lately as all this good hair business has my edges (that haul azzed outta here after I had King Jr) growing back and sometimes they can get out of of control. I LOVE twist outs, but I don’t always get them perfect. When they’re right, they’re right. And when they’re wrong -_-…….I would love to start experimenting more with styles but until I get these ends under control, I’m limited :(. And of course there is always my signature bun. Which is looking much fuller and healthier. Go me!
My husband has finally seen it in person. Still in love with it! However, explaining to him the upkeep has been…difficult. He doesn’t get it!
This Brown Queen
This is going to be a problem. I’m in love with natural products already! This is bad! I’m already on a makeup budget but now I have to create a hair budget. Or else I will lose it all Queens ;).
This is a mini haul of natural hair products I picked up to help with my beginning journey. I’m still in the very early stages of transitioning and actually getting to know my hair so I mean, it’s only right I go through a couple products. I’m learning my hair right? That’s my reasoning and I’m sticking to it! I actually did good though because I only bought what I actually needed and I am happy! I didn’t even leave with that sad “Yup, did it again feeling.” I love non guilty product indulging!!
My goodies, my goodies, my goodies:
1. Tresemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth Shampoo (Low Sulfates) with Coconut Oil and Jojoba Extract. I was looking for a mild shampoo and I’ve heard good things about the Tresemme Naturals line. Most people speak about their Nourishing Moisture products but I wanted to give this a try. It says it helps with frizz…and I need help with frizz!
2. Tresemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth Conditioner with Coconut Oil and Jojoba Extract. I needed a conditioner other than my deep conditioner. I thought about the Aussie Moist but decided to go with this…it was on sale if I bought the shampoo and I did.
3. Jamaican Black Castor OIl. Don’t really know what I’m going to do with this. I don’t really have any intentions on using it right now. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it though since transitioning and before! I’ve seen a lot of my favorite bloggers using it for some type of challenge. I’ll do more research and see how I want to incorporate this.
4. Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream. I had the Motions Define My Curl Cream but I didn’t like it. Okay I can’t say that because I only used it once but I just did not like the consistency. It was a cream but was wasn’t creamy. I like my other Cantu products and the reviews on this were awesome so we’ll see!
5. Eco Styler Gel. Everyone needs a styling gel. I like it! Pretty much cut and dry for me there.
6. African Royale Hot Six Oil. I used to use this oil a few years ago when I was relaxed. I loved it. Don’t know what made me stop using it but I was not feeling my Olive Oil that I had. I have straight EVOO but I wanted some kind of oil blend and so I got this again. Still love it!
I have tried some of these, but I’ll have reviews coming in the future. I want to really get a feel of how I like the product.
I LOVE HAULS!!!
This Brown Queen